Re: UNC Pathname Handling within Applications

Hi,

please send me every mail only once. Thanks.

* Larry Hall wrote (2004-07-16 04:21):
>At 07:30 PM 7/15/2004, you wrote:
>>* Shankar Unni wrote (2004-07-16 00:52):
>>>
>>>I don't know why you are even trying to normalize the paths like this.
>>>Just hand the thing off to the OS. Usually, both the user and the OS
>>>know what it is they are trying to do.
>>
>>The path is also displayed at various places. The user might be
>>surprised to see surplus slashes.
>
>Better that they be surprised and have things work than be surprised and
>complain when things don't work.  Don't shield them from the reality of the
>real world.  It's a learning experience and depriving them of that won't
>help anyone.

I think some people might see the surprising path, *think* the
software is broken and stop using it. Another problem ist the toolkit.

I agree that the leading extra slash should be supported, but it might
not be as easy as it sounds.

>That ends the philosophy lesson for today.  Please go back to your homes
>now and meditate on this. ;-)

Thank you, O wise one!

Thorsten
--
As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours,