Re: cygwin telnetd/xinetd and non-cygwin Python: no interaction

W. Borgert wrote:

Hi,

thanks to Corinna, Igor, and Jason.  It seems I have to find another
telnet implementation for Windows NT (XP seems to have telnet built
in).  Unfortunately, I like to use Python interactively, so script
mode is not enough.  OTOH, I cannot use cygwin Python variant,
because it doesn't load the Python modules I have installed
(omniORBpy, a CORBA implementation for Python).  Also, I fear that
cygwin Python might be a little bit slower than "native" Python in
respect to I/O, but this might be not true anymore.

Cheers, WB

Windows and cygwin python are completely interchangable for the work I do. Today one of my colleagues asked what this /cygdrive/t/... stuff was doing in the error messages. He was running the windows version of python with .pyc files built by the cygwin version.

I find that python modules are easier to install under cygwin than in native windows. To build binary modules for the windows version, you need to use Visual C++, which I have refused to install. I have to locate a binary install package prebuilt for my python version and environment. For the cygwin version, "python setup.py install" always seems to work (provided the gcc tool chain is installed).

As an example, to install the cx_Oracle module, I need a binary installer that matches both my python version and my Oracle client library version. On cygwin, I use the same source version of the module with Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g client libraries and any version of python.