Re: Options for Source Code Control: RCS v. SCCS v. CVS

--- Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 03:09, Richard Heintze wrote:
> > I need some help understanding how RCS works. I
> typed
> > "info RCS" and felt confused.
>
> Not surprisingly. RCS doesn't model what any modern
> revision control
> system does.

He should've used "man rcsintro", which would've given
a simple explanation.

> Really, one doesn't. One chooses between anything
> other than CVS or RCS.
> RCS is not suitable for programming projects, as
> each file is versioned
> separately, the same goes for CVS.

You can always tag the releases for the package.

Most of the "modern" version control systems are so
arcane that almost all the organizations using them
have a dedicated engineer to manage it.