Re: processor at 100%

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Shawn Henderson wrote:

> when I reboot my pc my processor is at 100% the task manager reveals
> that cygserv and the sshd is the culprit.

There is no such program as "cygserv".  I presume you mean "cygrunsrv".
Also, which of the two processes consumes 100% of the CPU?  Or do they
each consume 50% (or some other numbers that add up to 100%)?

> After ending the processes this drops the processor back to its normal
> levels.

How do you end the processes?  If you used "kill", did you try to simply
stop the service (via "cygrunsrv -E sshd" or "net stop sshd") instead?

> What is strange is that I can still use these processes afterwords like
> normal but it does not max out the processor until the next time I
> reboot.

Huh?  Do you mean you can restart the service afterwards?

> I have a xp antholon 2700 with 512mb ram. what is going on? any ideas on
> how to stop this activity.
>
> Thanks

Well, you could attach to the process consuming the most CPU with strace
(for a bit) and see what that shows...  It doesn't look like this is
something others can reproduce, so you'll have to do a bit of debugging on
your system.

FWIW, as a workaround, you can change the startup type of the sshd service
to "manual", and start it yourself (with "cygrunsrv -S sshd" or "net start
sshd") whenever you need it.
HTH,
	Igor
--