Re: Extending long threads

GARY VANSICKLE wrote:

As a person who regularly uses HTML style email and posting (much to many peoples chargrin and complaints) I rarely "fester" them with "all" sorts of colors and fonts. Other HTML emails and posts I receive are also rarely "festered" with all sorts of colors and fonts. Why? Because doing so takes time, knowledge and effort and most people simply don't take the time, have the knowledge nor can be bothered with the effort required. As such I don't think such an argument holds much water. IOW I think if people of your opinion see just one bolding they'll call it "festered with all sorts of colors and fonts".

There's three reasons people knee-jerk against HTML email:

1. It isn't ASCII

Sure it is! It is exactly ASCII. It just has tags and you just don't like the tags that's all.

(i.e. the "Back in my day a child would open up a gift and within seconds he'd either burst into flames or lose a limb! That's the way it was and we liked it!"[1] Defense).

Not sure what this means nor how it's relevent.

2a. There isn't an email program alive which can do a "Reply" to an HTML email properly.

Define properly. Mine works just fine. Sorry you're having problems.

2b. ...especially those which support VT-100 terminals.

Get a new terminal!

3. The lines are longer than 80 characters ;-).

Sometimes. For example this line isn't! :-)

I fall under category 2a, but my knee isn't jerking: If Outlook didn't absolutely s*ck *ss at "editing" HTML I wouldn't care.

You left off the most important reasons - it's not what you are accustomed to and your reading software of choice is inept.

--
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.