Re: cygwin 1.5.10: Possible bug

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 10:23:14AM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
>>Dave Neary wrote:
>>>I have come across a problem with cygwin (I think) which prevents it
>>>from being used to compile JNI bindings.
>>
>>Or any DLLs that need to be loaded from non-Cygwin main programs (e.g.
>>Sun Java).  This has been a problem for several releases now, and no
>>one (me included, I must confess) seems to find the time to narrow this
>>down..
>
>"several releases" == "a couple of years"

It's worth noting that the symptoms of this were different in 1.5.3 and
1.5.4 which I had installed previously, in those releases loading the dll
worked fine, but a call to getservbyname core dumped. In 1.5.10, the process
just freezes up when loading the dll. So something has changed there.

>You haven't been able to reliably, dynamically load cygwin dlls for some
>time now.  For me, it is not an issue about finding the time; it is
>finding the interest.  I really am not overly bothered by this
>restriction.

Can anyone give me some hints for building cygwin from sources, then, so
that I can have a go at fixing this?

Should I build under cygwin or under mingw? Or is there a possibility to
build in VC++ and use the visual studio debugger? I just want to build with
debug flags to see what's going on. Does anyone have a VC++ project file for
cygwin?

Cheers,
Dave.

--