Re: Netsky worm

Robert Pendell wrote:

Yes. That is true. Microsoft is showing some changes though for the future. For example. Even in Windows XP, LAN connections are firewalled by default. SP2 will enable the firewall by default and include a security center. The firewall is more robust giving the user a bit more control but still lacks outgoing data protection like
commercial firewalls have.

I believe we all heard of this. However, what about Word/Excel documents running macros causing problems. Yes they stopped that but then again that's my point - initially, and by default , used to be enabled. Then there's http://news.google.com/url?ntc=0M4C0&q=http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml%3FarticleID%3D22103094 on the front page of news.google.com. Also, the infamous Love Virus, SoBig, etc, etc.

Right. Windows actually stole certain things from UNIX. Example: The system32\drivers\etc folder is taken directly from UNIX. There are certain others stolen from UNIX too but I can't remember what.

Oh there are tons of things like DNS, HTTP, SMTP and then things like nslookup, ping, telnet, rsh, etc. Find's look like greps, type is a poor man's more, and speaking of more, the Windows more. Many other utilities, some even done by MS themselves, have often shed their /opts for -opts Unix style command line format.

The money they charge is usually for support costs, media costs, and time spent actually making the media. However it is far cheaper to go on ebay and buy the same product that some burned using downloaded iso's. Some people still connect on modems and therefore cannot download the free iso images. I am one of those people and know that I cannot leave my system on downloading for extended periods of time.

Why not? I believe when I beta tested XP I downloaded their ISO images through a modem... Just let it run all night.

-- An error? Impossible! My modem is error correcting.