Re: Setting up cygwin so other users can run processes on my computer

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:00:43PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > I would suggest installing openssh from http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe.
> > >
> > > After that you can run the ssh-host-config script to install it as a
> > > service.
> > >
> > > After making sure the other guy's user ID is in your /etc/passwd file,
> > > you can have him log on your system locally and get to a bash prompt to
> > > initialize his environment.  Then have him run ssh-user-config to get
> > > the ssh stuff for his user account created.
> > >
> > > After that, he should be able to ssh into your system and do what he
> > > needs to do.
> > >
> > > -Jason
> >
> > You might also want to mention that the relevant mounts should be system
> > mounts, not user ones (i.e., install for "All Users", not "Just Me")...
>
> Would a generous soul volunteer to add that to ssh-host-config?
> At the same time make sure that /etc/passwd and group are readable by the
> daemon, or by everybody, and that id -u isn't 400 and id -g not 401 (mkgroup).
> Just emit a big WARNING if there is a problem.
> THANKS^1000
>
> Pierre

Just to get this into the archives: ssh-host-config can certainly emit a
warning on non-system mounts, but having separate set of user mounts for
the SYSTEM user will also work just fine...  In fact, that'd make it
possible to have a whole different /etc/passwd (and /etc/group) file
readable only to SYSTEM (via a user mount).  Ugly, but workable... :-(
I'm by no means advocating the above setup, but I could think of some
situations where it might be useful (and it has come up a few times on
this list).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/