making a user (FAQ but can't find answer)

Dear cygwin community,

I've tried everything I can think of to try to add a user to
cygwin, but haven't been able to use ssh, ftp, su, or login to
login as anybody except the user that Cygwin is running as.

I'm very familiar with mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd. I'm also familiar
with mkgroup.
The users are local users and they can login to windows just
fine...but they can't connect to any cygwin service.

Are there any windows services which need to be running in order
to make logins work properly? The method that cygwin uses to get
passwords from windows is a total mystery to me, and I haven't
been able to find more information about it by using google
(site:cygwin.com).

Thanks,
loren

--