Re: Minicom for Cygwin

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Xantius wrote:

> >>It seemed that previously there were a few people asking for minicom to
> >>be put into the cygwin release, but no response yet from the cygwin
> >>team.  I'd be glad to work with them to get it setup, because it'd make
> >>life a lot easier for people.  Any Cygwin gods listening?   :-)
> >
> >I'd love to have it as a cygwin package..
> >I did manage to get it to compile myself, but I couldn't get it to start,
> >as it refused to go past the stage where I had to be root to set up a
> >config, which isn't really an option in cygwin..
> >On that note.. How did you get round it? :-)
> >
> >Chris
>
> I was able to setup a root user on my system.  It was a PITA, but it did
> work.  There was a howto out there somewhere that I followed.
> Unfortunatly I can't find it again, so I can't tell you where it was.
> I'll post it if I find it.
>
> Xantius

Well, there are some instructions for setting up a root user at
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SIDS>...  However, most
of the time it's not necessary to be root.  In fact, some programs simply
check if the current user has UID of 0 (which is wrong in Cygwin for
several reasons).  Most of the Cygwin ports of programs that do this check
have it commented out for Cygwin.  For examples, see the sources if
inetutils, openssh, etc.  Others (e.g., fetchmail, cron, inetutils, login)
have Cygwin-specific checks for the UID of the SYSTEM user, which is 18 by
default (though not always).  Yet others (e.g., apache, php) still have
the original checks of the form "if (geteuid())" here and there, which I
think is erroneous.  It really depends on the individual packages, but
most of the time it's better to simply attempt the operation and process
the error code instead of checking blindly for being root.  If you intend
to package minicom for Cygwin, I suggest considering very carefully
whether it's really necessary to check for root.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/