RE: ssh become slower and slower?

  Fair points.  Except for #3, which I really wouldn't want to rely on for a
moment.  After all, it's often the case that when a new worm breaks out,
most machines are up-to-date (with the patches that existed up until that
point) and there's a mad scramble to get a new patch out.  One packet can be
all it takes.  I would never expose a naked machine to the internet for any
time at all unless I *wanted* it to get something nasty!

    cheers,
      DaveK