Cygpath: Path name conversion Issue

Hi,
I'm trying to convert the following path name to a
unix specific format so that it could be passed as a
parameter to the Unix "open(..)" system call.
cygpath
"\\Device\\harddiskdmvolumes\\physicaldmvolumes\\rawvolume3
"
The converted path name is not accepted by the
"open()"
system call due to which I'm not able to access this
device.
Actually I'm trying to access a raw volume which I'm
able to do if I use the CreateFile() API in Windows.
I've no clue as to why I'm not able to access this raw
device using the "open().." system call.
Any suggesstions?

Thanks in advance.
john