Re: C:\cygwin & sub folder will not delete after failed install of cygwi 1.5.10-

From: Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
To: "James Bond" <hugeiqhavei@hotmail.com>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: C:\cygwin & sub folder will not delete after failed install of cygwi 1.5.10-3
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:24:58 -0400

The message you state above telling you of some corruption doesn't come
from 'setup' so you'll need to consult MS about that problem.  If there is
indeed some corruption problem, that may be the reason you have trouble
deleting the directory.  Based on the paraphrased message you report when
you tried to delete the directory (called 'din'?), it appears that you
were using either Cygwin's or Windows 'rmdir' command to do your bidding.
You're best off using the Windows version to remove the directory since
Cygwin's is going to be part of the tree that you want to delete.  You'll
need to specify the '/s' flag to tell it to remove recursively.  'rmdir'
won't delete entire directory trees without that flag (that's why you got
the warning about the directory not being empty).  Or you can use the
Windows explorer instead.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746

Hi Thanks for reply Larry.

Sorry about the BAD! typos in that post :(
:)

Anyways the (.din) was meant to be the c:\cygwin\bin dir

Asoi I had been using the windowsXP explorer to try and delete the dir, as-well as trying, Del at the msdos cmd prompt. Niether worked ended up with me getting the error msg about the c:\cygwin\bin dir not being empty and being corrupted along with all the other sub dir's of c:\cygwin.

When I lpook in the c:\cygwin\bin dir it is very much empty completely, no hidden files or anything.
So I guess it's all badly corrupted.

I took your advice and tried rmdir \s and it just gave me a load of gobble about..
c:\cygwin\bin The directory is not empty.
c:\cygwin\etc\mime.types The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.
And many many more along a similar theme, with just different names; which meant no deletion of the dir at all.

I even tried renaming it and then trying to install cygwin again in a new c:\cygwin dir.
But almost at the very end of the install it did the exact same thing as last time, it FORCE REBOOTED the system and didn't finish the install.
Only this time I could and did delete the c:\cygwin dir ok.

I am now just left with the old corrupted c:\cygwin dir which I named c:\dead and which I cannot get rid of period.

Hyp