Re: cygwin gcc performance

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Matthieu VIAL wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone explain me why gcc cygwin compiler take so long to build a
> simple hello world program compared with mingw ?

Cygwin is a POSIX emulation layer.  Using the POSIX emulation is bound to
be less efficient than running the native application (which is what the
MinGW gcc is).  If you want to know wher ethe time's going, look at the
strace output (don't send it to the list, though, as your times look quite
normal -- I get about 1.6s on my system once gcc is in the disk cache).

Also, in the future, please *attach* your cygcheck output to your messages
as an uncompressed text attachment, instead of including it inline, since
that produces false positives in archive searches.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu