file not recognized:File format not recognized

I am a novice at cygwin.
I edited a file "test.c" with notepad in windows.
Then I compiled it with gcc in cygwin by typing:
$ gcc test.c
However I got the following error message:

test.c: file not recognized:File format not recognized
collect2: ld return 1 exit status.

My OS is WinXp. Could anyone tell me what's wrong?

Dana