Re: New install of 1.5.10 replacing 1.5.6: many things not working

Brian Ford wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Joe Landman wrote:

Hi folks:

I have multiple machines with 1.5.6 installed. I wanted to upgrade to
1.5.10 (bug fixes, speed, etc). Stuff worked (for the most part) in
1.5.6. I was/am looking to using it for application development on windows.

Are you trying to upgrade just the Cygwin package, or all Cygwin packages?

All packages. This happened with an upgrade. Then I wiped cygwin, and did a full re-install. Same issues.

With 1.5.10 install, I get error messages about find.exe being given
bad arguments.

This usually means you have a PATH problem and are getting the Windows version of find rather than the Cygwin one.

I figured something strange like that. I might be able to work around it by renaming the other find.exe (at least temporarily). I seem to remember having to do this in the 1.3.x days.

Many of the post-install scripts die with problems with grep (more in a
moment). When I open the cygbash shell, it puts me into /usr/bin by
default,

Check you /etc/passwd file and make sure your user home directory is set
correctly.

Its in there, and it still comes up in /usr/bin .

and the moment I cd out of there, I lose any ability to run
basic commands such as ls.

Sounds like . is in your PATH, but /usr/bin isn't.

Some other things are missing too (not just grep). I cannot seem to find cat.

Anything that tries to use grep is rewarded with an error message about
/bin/grep not existing.  Quick ls'ing around (find does not work...
sigh) does not locate a grep.

Ok, I may be thick, but I think that there might be a problem here.

The machines with problems:

1) Windows XP Home laptop. SP1 installed. 512 MB ram

2) Windows 2000 desktop. SP_something_or_other installed. 768 MB ram

Both had similar working copies of 1.5.6 installed.  Starting up the
cygbash shell resulted in being in the /home/landman directory (where I
thought I should be).  Everything properly pathed out in the older version.

Any thoughts? I don't have to re-install the OS... (I hope :( ).

Try a Cygwin reinstall after checking out your PATH issues.

I think I am going to retry a complete wipe and reload.

Please read this:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Did read some of it.

and attach cygcheck output. Maybe then someone will have a better idea.

Thanks. Will do.