cygwin and scsi tape drive.

Dear List:

I've been trying to get my SCSI tape drive to work under Windows/XP Home
Edition and CYGWIN and having absolutely no luck. My tape drive is recognized
as an "other device" so Windows is clearly aware of it. I have CYGWIN Version
1.5.10.3 (which should be the latest) and MT package Version 2.3.

When I do a mount command, I get:

bash: /etc/profile: line 185: syntax error: unexpected end of file
bash-2.05b$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
bash-2.05b$

Which looks right to me, and when I try various flavors of mt, I get:

bash-2.05b$ mt -V
mt V2.3, Corinna Vinschen, Apr 19 2004
bash-2.05b$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory
bash-2.05b$

I am able to umount the drive, but when I try to mount it again, I get:

bash-2.05b$ mount \\.\tape0 /dev/st0
mount: warning - /dev/st0 does not exist.

bash-2.05b$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Any and all help would be appreciated. The tape drive does work fine under
Linux on the same PC, so I know it's not a connectivity issue.

Thanks in advance,
Marc Schare