Re: [OT] RE: Problems listing tasks under cygwin.

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Although I'd still like to know why using ProcExp to list the handles*

Nope, it is DLLs.

> of any running Cygwin process causes the CPU to peg to 100%, and not
> come down until cygwin1.dll is unloaded, i.e. kill all running cygwin
> tasks and services.  I've had to train myself when using ProcExp to
> never accidently click on any Cygwin process, otherwise I have to go
> through the annoying process of closing all rxvt's and stopping all
> cygservices in order to get an idle CPU again...

I don't quite see that.  Only the process being explored runs away.
After killing it, all is normal.

> I've seen this reported to the list before but it got no replies.

IIRC, I think I was the first to report it and you were the only one who
replied.  I haven't tried to fix it yet.

> It started several notches back in the 1.5 series when there were a
> large number of changes to the signal handling code, IIRC.

Agreed.

> [*] It could be listing DLLs that causes it, but I don't want to find
> out at the moment.

It's not that destructive as it only affects the process being explored.
Note that the DLLs are not able to be listed, though.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer