Re: Cygwin & NFTS

On May 14 11:26, Danilo Turina wrote:
> I don't know if this information is related to your case, but notice
> that in Windows (I'm absolutely sure for W2K and WinXP) when you copy a
> file it takes the security attributes (the rights) of the folder where
> it has been copied, while when you move it it maintains its
> rights/security attributes doesn't change.

On Cygwin it depends on whether "ntsec" is set or not.  If ntsec is
switched off, the default Windows rules apply, while with ntsec on,
Cygwin sets the permissions in a POSIXy way.  However, copying a file
means to create a new file.  Copying over the permissions is then a
responsibility of the application (cp(1) in this very case).  If the
application doesn't have ACL support, then only the POSIX standard
permissions (user, group, other) are transferred.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.