Re: problems with cygwin

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:57:42PM +0530, Hitanshu Gandhi wrote:
>These are definitely not CygWin packages.  But personally, I've been
>installing some packages by merely extracting the .tar.bz2 files at the
>right locations.  I just download the :
>http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/cygwin/release/more/more-2.11o-1.tar.bz2 and
>install.  I mention this, because usually the linux rpms and Cygwin
>packages have similar names.  I just gave it as an example to Tarun's
>query that some of the commands are not installed.

I don't see how telling someone to run rpm is ever going to be useful
advice on cygwin until and unless cygwin starts using rpm in its
packaging.  So, sorry but you just confuse the issue by mentioning it.

Also, unless you really know what you're doing, you shouldn't be just
extracting the tar.bz2 files.  The files may contain postinstall
components which will not be executed if you just extract them.  Also,
you will end up confusing the rudimentary package database, making it
hard to receive accurate support if you ever need it here.

If you think you know what you're doing, that's fine.  I just don't
want this advice to be sitting in the archives without an accompanying
caveat.

cgf