Re: AS Perl versus cygwin Perl

zzapper schrieb:
On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:49:04 +0200, wrote:
Is this just my experience? (I've tried disabling AS-Perl before doing
my installs)

DBD::mysql still has a cygwin install problem, that it expects the mysql client with sockets to work. And the default host is still "localhost" and not "127.0.0.1". (Yes, I've reported that before, sent patches, often enough)

via cpan you have to do:
cpan look DBD::mysql
perl Makefile.PL --testhost=127.0.0.1
make
make test
make install

Thanx for that, I run Win32 mysql is that also a problem?

No, native mysql is the only stable server. We all use the native mysql server builts (besides gerrit maybe), only postgresql is used under cygwin.
http://anfaenger.de/cygwin-1.5/mysql/ has the binaries.

The clients should be able to compile for cygwin with no problems (Gerrit does this usually, aee url above, esp. for mysql_config), but they are not in setup.

Should I be able to keep both AS-Perl as /local/bin/perl and
Cygwin-Perl /bin/perl or would you advise otherwise?

I don't put AS-Perl in /usr/local/bin, I have it in C:/Perl/bin
and use it only occasionally. Such as for special Win32 CGI's or PPM stuff.
This is then done with special handlers, or the she-bang line at the top of the script.
You can easily put "C:/Perl/bin" to the front of your PATH in scripts where you need AS-Perl.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/