Re: Cygwin 1.5.9 Permission Denied Problem

At 07:35 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>--- Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> At 06:46 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>> >I just installed the latest Cygwin (1.5.9) on a new
>> >Win2K laptop that is not part of any domain. I'm
>> >getting "permission denied" when I try to execute
>> >programs in a couple of situations. None of the
>> >obvious remedies have fixed the problem.
>> >
>> >Situation One: I've downloaded and built
>> >scheme48-0.57. It runs fine from the command line.
>> >After I did a 'chgrp Users' on it I was able to
>> >successfully 'M-x run-scheme' out of the Cygwin
>> >version of emacs. When I launch nt-emacs from the
>> >desktop, however, and attempt 'M-x run-scheme' I
>> get a
>> >permission error; specifically "permission denied,
>> >~/software/cygwin/usr/local/bin/scheme48".
>>

>> Non-Cygwin programs don't understand POSIX paths.
>> Unless you've performed some emacs wizardry, that
>> path won't lead you to anything.  If you do have
>> some wizardry in there, you might still find you
>> need the ".exe" on the end.
>
>Actually, emacs groks POSIX paths. The Cygwin emacs
>that I launch from the cmd line and the nt-emacs that
>I launch from the desktop use the same .emacs. The
>former works, the latter doesn't.

If you say so.  I've heard there are various LISP scripts
for non-Cygwin built emacsen to get them to parse the Cygwin
mount table so that they can handle the POSIX paths but I
don't use emacs so I don't know how they work and, of course,
I couldn't assume that you were using them.  Either way, if
it's not a Cygwin program, it's not going to understand the
POSIX paths natively so problems you have are really somewhat
off-topic for this list.

>> >Situation Two: I unzip an internal build of Java
>> that
>> >a separate group provides me. I 'chmod a+x' all the
>> >executables in the distribution and then smoke test
>> >the JVM by typing: java -version. I'm rewarded
>> with:
>> >"zsh: permission denied: java" (same thing happens
>> >with bash, btw). I have a production JDK installed
>> in
>> >Program\ Files and it works fine. It turns out that
>> >the production version is owned by
>> >"Administrators:SYSTEM" so I chown the internal
>> >version's executables to "Administrator:SYSTEM" but
>> >the result is the same. Note that I have no
>> problems
>> >with these internal build on my Win2K workstation
>> >which (a) is part of a domain, and (b) is running
>> >Cygwin 1.5.7.
>>

>> Not sure about this one.  'getfacl' might help.  You
>>
>> could try removing "ntea" from your CYGWIN
>> environment
>> variable, in case you're getting some weird
>> conflict.
>
>Interesting results from getfacl.
>
>For the production (InstallShield installed) java
>%getfacl `which java`:
># file: /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/java
># owner: Administrators
># group: SYSTEM
>user::rwx
>group::r-x
>group:Users:r-x
>group:Power Users:rwx
>mask:rwx
>other:r-x
>
>For the internal (unzipped) java
>%getfacl `which java`:
># file: /usr/local/java/bin/java
># owner: Administrators
># group: SYSTEM
>user::rwx
>group::r-x
>mask:rwx
>other:r-x
>
>Is there away to add ACLs for those additional groups
>from zsh or bash?

Sure.  'setfacl'.

Holliston, MA 01746