Re: Control G Beep on Telnet session using Cygwin

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jim Gelasakis wrote:

> We are using Cygwin version 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) on Windows 2000.
>
> I have a telnet session to my Shell - using bash.
>
> I want to generate a system beep (not a WAV) in the telnet session.

The Cygwin console uses the MessageBeep functionality of Windows, which
usually plays a WAV.

> We used to be able to do this previously in MKS using the control ^G
> statement to generate a system beep to the telnet session through named
> PIPES.

Huh?  ^G is the BEL character, and should generate a beep (or a ding), but
what does that have to do with named pipes?

> We have tried many ways through Cygwin but are unable to achieve the
> same result.  Is their an equivalent way to get this to work??? are we
> able to get this function to work under Cygwin???
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Jim Gelasakis

If you aren't getting any sound at all, try googling for "cygwin
defaultbeep".  Otherwise, if you are getting the sound but not the one you
want, try it from an X application (e.g., xterm).  See
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg00903.html> for more info (be sure
to read the follow-ups, though).
	Igor
--