Re: The Choices Are Exim, Exim and, er, Exim...

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:00:34 +0100, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

>Thanks for suggesting - no, I don't; it does give you a base system, but
>that does not seem to include a GNU development toolchain of any kind.
>(Well, "gcc" isn't found.)  I need this to try my builds on - QuakeForge
>builds on Windows too but only if you use Cygwin, and I'll need to do this
>shortly anyway for my other project (http://www.agrip.org.uk/).  I don't
>know of a way to install/uninstall packages from like the command line - I
>think it's all done in setup.exe.  What wouldn't I give for a console one
>at this stage? ... :-)

One feature of setup program is to automatically select packages for
you when it encounters a new version of an already installed package
on your system. I think we can exploit this to install a new package
if we can fake setup to think there exists a previous version on your
system. The names of the installed packages are stored in
/etc/setup/installed.db which is a plain text file with one line for
each installed package.
All you need to do is to enter an obsolete versioned line for the
package you want to install, and then execute setup as you've did
during base installation. Dependencies should automatically be
resolved and selected by setup itself also.

I can send you relevant lines of installed.db and you can add them
with a single cat >> command, or you can figure them out yourself by
examining the file named setup.ini which is created every time you run
setup.exe in the local directory you've specified (well, in a
subdirectory of it, to be precise).

regards,

--
A. Alper Atici               OpenPGP KeyID: 0xB824F550