-mno-cygwin flag

I could not find relevant answers to this question in the archives.

        Do I understand correctly that using this flag ( -mno-cygwin) in compiling a program for Windows will make it
independent of the cygwin1.dll?  How do I use this?  The level of compiling I do is to unpack (tar xvzf) source code and
use "make" to compile the program.  Do I need to add some more stuff to my Cygwin program files?

Thanks!
Leonard Williams