RE: co-linux

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 02:50:42PM +0200, Pinhas Krengel wrote:
> >I have just read about beta release of co-linux (linux on
> windows). Is this
> >product going to kill cygwin.
>
> No.
>
> >What will be the benefits of using cygwin in that case.
>
> Having a nicely integrated UNIX environment.  Colinux just allows
> you to run
> a separate linux subsystem under windows.  There isn't any real
> communication
> between windows and linux other than via networking.

I spent some time working on porting Linux to Windows myself (with some
success, but I shelved the project after CoLinux came out) and it may be
possible to use CoLinux to service Linux system calls in a standard Windows
process giving you the best of both worlds. AFAICT the only thing required
to do this is to introduce the notion of 'foreign' processes and allow the
Linux kernel to read/write to/from a Windows process' address space. That
way you could link against both Windows DLLs and Linux shared objects (via
the Linux loader as ported in LINE). CoLinux could run as a Windows service.
Not that this would actually gain you much mind, since I can't think of
anyone who releases binary only code for Linux but not for Windows.
It would be really nice to be able to run Valgrind on Windows as well, but
that's another story.

Chris