Re: Comparative Performance of C++ Compilers (including gcc cygming special)

Alex Vinokur wrote:

"chris" wrote in message 407C0198.4000707@cs.york.ac.uk">news:407C0198.4000707@cs.york.ac.uk...

Alex Vinokur wrote:

      Comparative Performance of C++ Compilers
      C/C++ Performance Tests

<snip>

While this is quite interesting, it seems to me you aren't really
running these programs for long enough for us to be able to see what
differences are due to startup time and due to runtime.

How can we know how long the startup time is?

OK, I'll explain my thinking.

My understanding of cygwin suggests to me that when we are not performing any kind of system-based work (ie when we are just sorting vectors, calculating maths, the kind of deep computational work) there should be little difference between mingw32 and cygwin.

I'm away from my cygwin installation at the moment, but when I get back to it I intend to test that I think :)

Chris