RE: Bogus assumption prevents d2u/u2d/conv/etal working on mixed files

Nope.  That will grep for a lower case x or a zero:

DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> echo "abcxdef" > test1.txt
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> echo "0123456" > test2.txt
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> grep [\x61] test?.txt
test1.txt:abcxdef
test2.txt:0123456
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> grep [\x16] test?.txt
test1.txt:abcxdef
test2.txt:0123456

  grep is not printf, and an escaped shell metacharacter is not the same
thing as a C-compiler escaped control char sequence in a string literal:

DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> grep [\r] test?.txt
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> grep [\n] test?.txt
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> echo >>test1.txt
DKAdmin@ubik /swtools/windows/bin> grep [\n] test?.txt