ACL problems and cryptic messaging.

wrt the problem using a compiled 'tar' on the latest version of cygwin (.59):

It looks like the dll at fault is cygiconv-2.dll - which means when I compiled
libiconv-1.9.1-3, something went screwy with the install. The very act of linking
with cygiconv-2.dll causes the problems.

They are permissions problems with cygiconv-2.dll, with the default config; make;
make install' and sure enough when I do a 'chmod 777 cygiconv-2.dll', things work OK.

So - is there any way to turn this into a cygwin specific error, rather than
popping up an extra, cryptic window?

As it is, a permissions error of this sort stops any automated process and
makes everything hang rather than returning an error back to the console.

Ed