Re: Apache obatined in Cygwin Setup is FOREIGN

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, George Hester wrote:

> I forgot.  I have to override this newsreader and often I forget.  I
> hope this is better.  Believe me the stuff it puts in that causes you
> the trouble I do NOT mean to do intentionally.

It is better, thanks.  I didn't mean to chide you, just to alert you to
the fact that it was hard to properly reply to your message.

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > George,
> >
> > Please change either your style of reply quoting or your signature.  I had
> > to jump through hoops to be able to include the full thread history in my
> > reply, as pine kept cutting it off at the '-- ' in your signature.  Also,
> > please try not to quote raw e-mail addresses in your replies.  More below.

> > > OK Igor I can try that.  I actually have a few language prefs in my
> > > browser.  I suppose if I remove the non-English ones that may fix it.
> > > But you know this is not right.  Apache should pull out the language
> > > pref from the top which is English (US) in my case en-us.  There must be
> > > a setting that is incorrect where the Apache is looking at 2nd 3rd pref
> > > instead of 1st pref.
> >
> > I've just verified that Cygwin's Apache (which is version 1.3.29) doesn't
> > recognize "en-US" (but does recognize "en").  This may be a bug in
> > Apache...
> >
> > > Let me see what happens when I remove the other language prefs...yup
> > > that did it.  The secondary and tertiary language prefs are interfering.
> >
> > Try adding "en" after "en-US"...
> >
> > > Another thing I am noticing.  When I start the Apache server logout no
> > > lomger works in Cygwin.  The bash shell just hangs.  In fact it has hung
> > > through the entire write of this post.  I have to kill the Cygwin
> > > session by "X" the command console window.
> >
> > I don't see this on Win2k SP3, Cygwin 1.5.8.  But then, I run apache as a
> > service.  You didn't provide enough information to allow others to attempt
> > to reproduce this.  Please review the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines
> > at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and try again...  Make sure to
> > provide the exact sequence of actions that results in the hang.
> > Igor
>
> Lets see:
>
> I double-click the Cygwin icon on the desktop.  I go into the default
> bash shell.  I type \usr\sbin\httpd I then try logout and Cygwin hangs.

Please pay attention to details -- typing \usr\sbin\httpd will not even
start Apache in a bash shell; you'd need to type /usr/sbin/httpd for that
(note the forward slashes).  Also, httpd with no options forks and puts
itself in the background, but, on some OSes may still be attached to the
originating console (which is what you see -- bash has exited, but the
*console window* that ran bash cannot exit because of httpd running).
Since you haven't told us what version of the OS you're trying this on, we
can't guess what the problem or the possible solutions might be.

> Not sure of the version of Cygwin...I think it just updated when I ran
> setup a moment ago.

As specified in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, the way to report the
version of Cygwin (along with the OS version and enough details about your
installation to try reproducing your problem) is to attach (as an
uncompressed text attachment) the output of "cygcheck -svr" to your
message.

> I'll try changing to en with the other language prefs and see if there
> is a change.
>
> George Hester

HTH,
	Igor