Re: latest snapshot seems better wrt make -j hang problems

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:21:38PM -0500, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I have been running the "make -j" cygwin breaker for about ten hours now
>>with no hangs, no segvs, and no strange error exits.
>>
>>I'm sure this is just because of the magical way in which I have my
>>system set up but could anyone confirm or deny whether that this
>>snapshot behaves better?
>>
>>If it does still die then an strace of the failing case would be
>>helpful.  If it is too large for the mailing list software then let me
>>know and I'll arrange to get the strace via some other mechanism --
>>i.e., via a brand new cygwin bugzilla setup.
>
>I've been running it for about 24 hours on my HyperThreaded XP machine,
>14000 iteration, not a single problem.

That's good to hear.  Thanks.

I wonder if there is a super-secret club out there somewhere that I can
now join having spent the last four months wrapping my head around
subtle multi-threaded race conditions.  My wife has not quite picked up
on the fact that when I have a certain pained intense look on my face,
I'm really trying to model what happens when two threads attack the same
area of code at the same time rather than suffering from some sort of
intestinal disorder.

FWIW, I found ANOTHER race yesterday while running the cygwin test
suite.  So, it's back to square one for testing since it was in low
level code which could affect everything.  And, this race has been there
since I screwed up in September 2001.  Lovely.
--
Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Project Leader