Re: zsh 4.1.1-3 on W2000 hangs with command not found

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

> * Peter A. Castro (2004-03-08 20:39 +0100)
> > On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > Also, for the record, I've just tried the latest snapshot, 20040306, and
> > running missing commands do not hang or have any other strange behaviour
> > as your describe:
> >
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[101] ~ % les
> > zsh: correct 'les' to 'ls' [nyae]? n
> > zsh: command not found: les
> > zsh: 1240 exit 127   les
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[102] ~ % /bin/les
> > zsh: no such file or directory: /bin/les
> > zsh: 1245 exit 127   /bin/les
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[103] ~ % uname -a
> > CYGWIN_NT-4.0 garfunkel 1.5.8s(0.111/4/2) 20040306 23:59:38 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[104] ~ % cygcheck -s | grep zsh
> > zsh                     4.1.1-3
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[105] ~ % setopt | grep correct
> > correct
> > correctall
> > (doctor@garfunkel)[106] ~ %
>
> >> This is just a tiny problems for me. There was a real problem with zsh
> >> where *completion* took a long time (it tried to do DNS lookup -
> >> according to my Personal Firewall - and timed out when I wasn't online
> >> and no DNS was available). This is gone. The other "problem" is no
> >> problem for me because I use the completion and therefor the "correct"
> >> mechanism is /very rarely/ triggered. After that zsh caches the answer
> >> and replies immdiately "zsh: no such file or directory". (If I'm so
> >> dumb to try it again.)
> >
> > My example above has both correct and correctall on and I don't
> > experience any problems no matter how many times I try to run a bad
> > command.  This goes for weither zsh tries to correct the command or not.
> >
> >> But please be aware that there may be different problems. The one I
> >> described is with the "correct function" of zsh (and I figured that
> >> out just today). Davide Marchignoli's problem seems to be different:
> >>
> >> % aoidfjkl        # immediately: "zsh: command not found: aoidfjklj"
> >> % /bin/aoidfjklj  # hangs for about ten seconds until "zsh: no such file or directory: /bin/aoidfjklj"
> >
> > Sorry, mine returnes immediately, no delay at all.  And this is on an old
> > 400MHz PII running under a vmware emulator.  Oh, and I tried this same
> > setup, with the latest snapshot on a 1.7Ghz system running MS Windows
> > native without any problems either.   I also tried both of these on
> > network mounted drives and didn't have any delays or problems.
> >
> > I feel you should examine your environment thoroughly.  Perhaps you have
> > more than one copy of cygwin1.dll in your PATH?  When you last upgraded,
> > are you sure you existing all cygwin based processes before starting a
> > new shell window?
>
> I did that. My .zshrc is *exactly* the same on this host and on my
> Gentoo Linux where everything is fine.
>
> I tried to narrow the problem by deleting

> [...]

I've removed all of these and have only "correct" and "correctall" set
(btw: "interactive", "shinstdin" and "zle" are also set by default), but
still can't reproduce this.  Sorry, I just can't seem to make it hang.

> and everything in .zshrc except "setopt correct correctall". It's
> those two options that make zsh hang. I even unset all environment
> variables inherited from Windows. No change.
>
> If you have any hint how to find the problem I'd be glad to assist
> (strace). By the way - I freshly installed Cygwin on this box and the
> Windows installation (Windows XP SP1) is two months old. I deactived
> my PF (Kerio - newest version) and even detached from my NetWare. Even
> the Novell Client is the latest one. And locate shows only one
> cygwin1.dll

I think a better search mechanism might be to see what your system PATH
it set to, in the control panel, and do a Windows Find for cygwin1.dll
and see there is more than one in the PATH.

At this point, I think you need to go through the problem reporting
process as outlined in http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html.
Specifically, your cygcheck output.  Additionally, I'd like you to run
'uname -a', 'setopt', 'env' and 'set' from within zsh with both "correct"
and "correctall" off.

Send all of that to the list, as attachments, and I'll analyse them.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>