RE: "cd /" - problem

 Well, as quotes are handled in special ways almost everywhere - you never
know. Now it is in the archives anyway...

> >$ uname -a
> >CYGWIN_NT-5.0 P450 1.5.8s(0.110/4/2) 20040221 17:58:57 i686
> unknown unknown
> >Cygwin
> >--
> >
> >$ cd /
> >bash: cd: /: No such file or directory
> >$ echo $CYGWIN
> >notitle glob check_case:strict
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Either turn this off or make sure that your root directory (e.g.
> c:\cYgWiN) has the same case on disk as in your mount table (e.g.
> c:\CyGwIn).  Otherwise cygwin won't be able to find your root
> directory.
>
> I keep pointing out that there few reasons to use the check_case:strict
> option.  Even the person who wrote it (Corinna) agrees.  It slows down
> cygwin's file handling.  You should only be using this option if you
> really need it and really know what you are doing.

 The strange thing is that the case(-ing?) has been the same for a _long_
period of time - and this has not "bitten" me, until recently.

The remainder is for the curious; it might even help a person or two:

Part of the problem as it seems to me: The output of "mount -m" relies on
registry contents, not the actual path components on disk.

Due to the fact that I use *the same installation* for multiple Windows
versions, I have "mount -m >mounts.bat" in ~/.bash_logout - and a
corresponding execution of mounts.bat in ~/.profile .
 This in combination with the above - makes sense for me, but also adds to
the above problem - in obvious ways.

Nuff' said. No expectations nor obligations implied.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E

** on a mailing list; please keep replies on that particular list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--