Re: tar and open files

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hall"
> At 07:25 PM 2/20/2004, Steven Hartland you wrote:
> >That's a cool idea but its not an install so no pending files :(
> >
> >I was toying with the idea of amending tar for cygwin so that
> >it could move the offending files to a specific dir or /var/tmp
> >by default when encountering such a file. All the times I've
> >tried this its still possible to move the file even though its
> >locked open. Delete fails otherwise --unlink would work
> >Actually now I just said it could alter --unlink to do a move
> >if the delete failed and that would also fix and would be
> >a neater solution. What do people think?
>

> If it's just delaying the problem, I'm not sure this really helps.
> What happens when you tar again?  What happens to the "thing" that's
> locked the file?  How do you get it to "update" to the new one.  If
> this doesn't just push the puck down the ice, I think it's a great
> idea.

In the situation I have here its updating an app where we are
not bothered if it doesnt get updated till the user restarts the
app. The thing that's locked the file will continue to run with
the old version without issue, only when it unlocks and
subsequently reopens ( e.g. in a restart ) will it pick the new
file up. The only issue I see is the remaining files after move
one hack for this may be to manually move them to the
recycle bin if that's possible? Duplicate names in the
destination could be easily be checked for so that's not
an issue. If recycle bin isn't an option then the system temp
dir with a suitable filename might be a way to go unless
there's is a FS level delete on close within win32?

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.