python and cygwin

Hi, I want to run my python scripts in a cygwin bash shell, but have
problems.
It seems as if python don't understand the cygwin path.
If I'm placed in the directory in where the pythonscript is located, it
works fine, if I'm in another directory it don't work. I get the error

python.exe: can't open file '/cygrive ... the path to the
script/theScript.py'

Any suggestions?
I guess it should be straightforward to just setup the paths in .bashrc, but
maybe not!
regards
/totte