cygwin_attach_fd_to_handle(), mmap()

I'm working on getting the cygwin port of rsync to be able to back up
open files.  This requires the FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS flag.  I've
got rsync opening the file, and I use cygwin_attach_fd_to_handle() to
get an fd, but the problem is that cygwin seems to map it as a "basic"
handle and not a "diskfile" handle, and therefore rsync's mmap fails.

I'm willing to do the coding, but I'd like to code a cygwin patch which
gets accepted, so I'm soliciting comments on the interface to do this.

Perhaps something like cygwin_attach_fd_to_handle_ex() which takes a
flags argument, and we provide a flag for mapping to a diskfile object?

Is there to muck with cygwin's internals and do this without modifying
cygwin?

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>