Re: search and replace tool

At 06:47 PM 2/19/2004, Reini Urban you wrote:
>Larry Hall schrieb:
>>At 02:59 PM 2/18/2004, dAniel hAhler you wrote:
>>>I'm looking for a search and replace tool to replace a text portion in
>>>a bunch (3500+) of files.
>>>
>>>That should be an easy one.. :)
>>This isn't really Cywgin-specific.  As a result, it's off-topic for this list.
>
>But fixing perl's long-standing inability to do direct inline editing via perl -i would be cygwin specific.
>Anyone investigated this lately?

Huh.  Interesting way to open a new subject.  Since the text you
quoted above makes absolutely no mention whatsoever about Perl but later
further along, saw the subsequent suggestions about using Perl for the
above, and then decided to reply to my post, which doesn't mention Perl,
bringing up the new topic of how -i does or doesn't work with Cygwin's
Perl.  I guess this just goes to show there are a thousand different ways
to look at things.  I never would have imagined this would seem like a
straight line to anyone.

Anyway, as mentioned later in the thread, the problem is the implied
semantics of "unlink()" which isn't supported by the Windows API.  So
this long-standing inability for Perl is likely to remain for the
foreseeable future AFAICS.

This list prefers that you start new threads for new subjects, just for
future reference.

Holliston, MA 01746