Re: search and replace tool

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Reini Urban wrote:
>
> > But fixing perl's long-standing inability to do direct inline editing
> > via perl -i would be cygwin specific.
> > Anyone investigated this lately?
>
> What on Earth are you talking about?  What inability?  WFM (see below).
> $ perl -i -pe 's/blah/stuff/g' sometext
> $ ls
> sometext  sometext.bak

It didn't do the editing "inline", it created a new file and renamed the
old one ".bak".  In other words, on Cygwin "-i" is really "-i.bak".  If
you try the above sequence on linux you don't get a .bak file and the
changes are truly done in-place.  I assume this relates to differences
in filesystem semantics.

Brian