Re: [Fwd: Bug: Perl:IsWinNT undefined & RFE, only use "/" in reg values, not names..?]

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:48:48AM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <sthoenna@efn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:46:05AM -0800, linda w <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:
> > Tried this...some scripts ran.  One that didn't wanted lanman.pm located in
> > Win32::lanman.
> >
> > Queerly enough, doing a "i" /lanman" comes up zip even though it is in
> > CPAN at
> > /CPAN/sources/authors/id/J/JH/JHELBERG/lanman.1.0.10.0.zip.
> >
> > How would one normally go about installing lanman.pm without manually
> > unpacking
> > the zip and putting it someplace (which I'm just randomly guessing
> > wouldn't work for
> > some other reason -- like the lanman dll not being installed in the
> > right place.
>
> lanman doesn't seem to be packaged like a normal CPAN module;
> presumably the author is expecting most people to use ActiveState and
> ppm to install it.  You should download the zip file and unzip it into
> a temporary directory and follow the readme's build instructions to
> the extent possible, and it may or may not work.

Looks like "may not".  The author has completely gone without
the normal perl module build facilities (e.g. MakeMaker); even
ActiveState users have to manually change path settings, etc. to
get the (nmake, MSVC++) makefile to work.