Re: Cygwin Mailing list

Gareth Pearce wrote:

As obviously you're a mailing list professional, I'm sure you checked the mailing list archives before posting on this topic.

Hence there is no need for me to reply.

As implied by my above statement, the topic has already been discussed.
Therefore given the subject line of this email, you don't even need to check
the mailing list archives to work out the previous answer!

Gareth

I apologise for replying to this, but I feel I must.

As a "casual" reader of the cygwin mailing list, I feel there has been an increasing number of mails sent to the list like this one, where various members seem to be competing to see who can come up with the most patronising and sarcastic replies to newbies. Such messages I feel serve no purpose, and I find it ironic that these people are generating more "pointless" on-list messages than the newbies who they are correcting.

While I do not claim any kind of authority, could I suggest perhaps a) being a little nicer to newbies (it isn't that hard really) and b) if you feel the need for a post without any useful content (perhaps just saying "search the archives") to send it just to the author of the mail in question?

Thank you for your time,

Chris