Java Thread Dump in Bash

Searching the mailing list archive I found that there is an old thread from Dec 2000 which exactly describes my problem:

In short: Using Ctrl-Scroll does not cause a Java program to dump threads as it does in cmd.exe. Unfortunately the thread ended up with some personal strife.

I understand that the signal problem could be by design. But now (3 years later) maybe there are news about this issue? Has someone a way to work around this problem?

Frank-Michael