Re: Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 now Free

Alexander Shopov wrote:

Gratis maybe (for the 3.5 beta) but definately NOT free.
al_shopov

Now, this is completely off topic... But, english word "free" greatly depends on context.

GPL (and derivatives) uses free in context of freedom to use and modify original piece of work, still _you can_ charge for distribution. And for point of end user GPL isn't really even freedom to use. It has _restriction_. Derivate work (eg. if you link against GPL library) you have to make your work GPL also. That's not really free(dom). (Well, that's why other, less restrictive licences has emerged).

Most fanciest solution I've seen is mySQL, well, it's GPL, its free for non-commercial use, but for commercial mySQL only apps (which are considered linked apps), must buy _commercial mySQL licence_. Now is that freedom?

This is like here in Finland alcohol importing from other EU countries became "unlimited". Now still customs have power to confisticate alcohol if it suspects that alcohol is not for personal use... And now they're testing it in court of law. (Some guy tried to import approx 250 litres of spirits, 1k litres of beer, some wine and other liquors.). Well that's real "freedom".

Now SFU is free (to use), but for other aspects, I don't know, and really I don't care.

Only thing I've been really missing is working NFS client for Windoze, then I'm happy. Cygwin does all the other dirty job.

--

Jani Tiainen