Why choice between unix and dos line endings?

Something I've never been able to figure out is why Cygwin offers to
install with the choice of either dos or unix line endings. The way I
see it is that using dos line endings allows for good integration with
native windows apps. I can see no advantage of using unix line endings,
though I guess there must be one otherwise the option wouldn't be
offered. Can any one shed some light on this. Thanks

Chuck