Re: Cygwin homedirs and roaming profiles.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 08:08 PM 2/12/2004, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen you wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >I've been unable to find information on this in the documentation, the
> >FAQs and on the net:
> >
> >I have a situation where I want to use Cygwin in a multiuser
> >environment where users hop from one computer to the next, with roaming
> >profiles (stored on a Samba server).
> >
> >I have two problems:
> >
> >1) It appears domain users are stored in the local passwd file in a
> >"domain\user" format on each workstation. But each user has to run
> >Cygwin once to have this (and the homedir) set up. Are there neat ways
> >to do all this automaticly and correctly in my situation?
>
> This actually happens on installation, through postinstall scripts.  So
> unless the installation happens through some method other than setup.exe
> (in which case it is unsupported ;-) ), these files should be on the
> local machine as part of the install.  OK, I just wanted to correct any
> misconception you had about how and when these files are made.  On to
> your question now.
>
> If the machines in question are always on the same domain (it sounds
> like they are), you can put the passwd and group files on a central
> server and have all the local machines just point to them via symlinks.

Or just mount /etc (or even /etc/passwd and /etc/group) off a network
drive...

> If you want to set them up on the fly, you can always add a little
> script that's invoked from /etc/profile or some such that checks for the
> file's existence locally and creates the link if it's not there already.
>
> >2) It looks like I can't have my users' homedirs on the Samba server
> >also be the Cygwin homedir for that user - if I want ssh to work. Ssh
> >complains about ownership of the ~/.ssh file. Is there a way to fix
> >this short of patching ssh?
>
> Add "smbntsec" to your CYGWIN environment variable and then make sure
> the permissions are correct for .ssh and subordinates.
>
> Larry Hall

The second solution may not always work, depending on the setup of the
samba server (over which the OP may not have any control).  If all else
fails, set "StrictModes no" in /etc/sshd_config.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu