Re: WML (perl-based program) segfaults

Hello!

Gerrit, thank you very much for looking into this!

* Gerrit P. Haase <gp@familiehaase.de> [2004-02-11 23:35]:
> "Support for Perl 5.8.0 added in WML 2.0.9"
> Maybe you should ask the upstream maintainer if it is possible to
> use WML with perl-5.8.2 or not.

Unfortunately, switching to perl-5.8.0-5 and rebuilding WML doesn't
make the situation any different:

$ gdb eperl.exe
(gdb) run README
Starting program:
/cygdrive/d/wosc/install/Cygwin/wml-2.0.9/wml_backend/p3_eperl/eperl.exe README

0x00405d66 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00405d66 in ?? ()
#1  0x0022c840 in ?? ()
#2  0x0022ef4c in ?? ()
#3  0x00000800 in ?? ()
#4  0x0022da88 in ?? ()
#5  0x101233d0 in ?? ()
#6  0xffffffff in ?? ()
#7  0x0022c568 in ?? ()
#8  0x0000021a in ?? ()
#9  0x00236dd0 in ?? ()

Well, OK, it is different, but definitely not better. :-(

> I'm still trying to get it configured... it is a terrible package,
> I wonder that it was possible to build it under Cygwin;)

I fully agree, the build system does have some *bad* quirks.
I considered myself quite lucky to get it working. %-)

> ./configure --with-openworld --enable-debug
> runing make ends here:
> mp4h: ERROR: failed to initialise modules: unknown error

This can be circumvented by specifying --without-modules ... :-/

> Two of the executables are broken for me now, I consider to stop
> working on this now.

I am very grateful that you invested your time - I was completely
stumped.

> > Minimal symbols from eperl.exe...(no debugging symbols found)...
> > [I think that's strange, as I *did* say --enable-debug]
>
> Try also to define some debugging flags for the tools, hmmm, in the
> eperl configure is already defined: CFLAGS='-g' && LDFLAGS='-g', maybe
> it is neccessary to rebuild perl with symbols too?

Do you think the possible results warrant the effort of rebuilding
perl?
And, honestly, even if I managed to get some useful debugging output,
I'd still depend on your help - and I wouldn't want you to spend lots
of your time debugging other people's (possibly outdated) software.
It would be great if WML did work again, as I have some projects
depending on it, but it's completely up to you whether to dig any
further.

I appreciate your help and investigations very much, thanks again. 8-)

Wolfgang