Re: IPv6 integration status in Cygwin

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 12:54 PM 2/9/2004, Antonio Querubin you wrote:
> >I was looking through the archives and noticed there hasn't been much
> >recent work on integrating IPv6 into Cygwin.  I've been using Jun-ya
> >Kato's IPv6 extensions which work great for simple IPv6 apps - even
> >multicast works for some simple cases.
> >
> >So I was wondering what are the current barriers preventing the
> >integration of IPv6 into Cygwin and if there was anything that could be
> >done to overcome those barriers.  If full integration isn't possible or
> >discouraged for whatever reason, I'd like to at least eventually see an
> >IPv6 package option that can be selected during setup.  Reply off-list if
> >you wish.
>

>  From my 2 minute perusal of the email archives on this subject, I see
> nothing that suggests this can't be done and some attempts at doing so.
> If you're interested in helping to move this work along, then perhaps
> you want to start here:
>
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-08/msg01581.html>

Actually that's sort of what I already was suggesting above.  Whether it
be as a separate package or as a beta option for the DLL probably doesn't
matter as long as there was a way to uninstall either way if that became
necessary.

> This points to at least one on-going, albeit somewhat external, effort
> for melding Cygwin and IPv6.  There may be others you can find as well.
> I think everyone would be interested in seeing IPv6 in Cygwin if you
> have interest in helping make that a reality.

Yeah I'm willing to do any developmental work (time permitting) but want
to get a feel for where things currently stand.  The message you referred
to in the archive is almost 1.5 years old so I suspect the environment has
probably changed especially now that the IPv6 stack in current releases of
Windows works out of the box.