Chown bug, attn fileutils maintainer (Was Re: RE : How can i really uninstall completly cygwin from Windows XP Pro ???)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> The first is a bug in the Cygwin version of chown.  A temporary workaround
> would be to use "chown -R Flo /*; chown Flo /".
> [snip]
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Flo wrote:
>
> > Hello Thx for your help but i get and error :
> >[snip]
> > The error :
> > $ chown -R Flo /
> > chown: getting attributes of `//bin': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//cvsroot': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//cygwin.bat': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//cygwin.ico': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//etc': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//ftp': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//home': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//lib': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//opt': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//temp': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//tmp': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//usr': No such file or directory
> > chown: getting attributes of `//var': No such file or directory

BTW, I have a procedural question regarding this.  I have a 1-line patch
to fix this in the current fileutils source.  However, fileutils is not
maintained, and the problem (generating filenames with the '//' prefix)
affects only Cygwin, so it's unlikely to be accepted upstream, and will
have to be part of a Cygwin-specific patch.

There was some talk about replacing fileutils et al with coreutils (there
was even a test version out there, but it never got past the first problem
report on cygwin-apps, and the download link is dead).  AFAICT, coreutils
5.0 also has this bug, and I could try to send the fix upstream once
Cygwin has a coreutils package.

The question is, should I wait for coreutils to be out, or should I send
in a fix for fileutils?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/