RE: Root (/) size problem\limitation?

I just did another install on an XP system with a single (non-mirrored) 40GB c:\ drive and Cygwin can properly see and utilize the entire drive. I'm going to wipe the installation on Windows 2003 and try it again. I'll report back the results if I have the same problem.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Ewert
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 6:55 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Root (/) size problem\limitation?

Greetings,

I've been searching for an answer to this problem for hours (literally) and have not been able to find one in any of the Cygwin FAQs, documentation, mailing-lists, newsgroups or Google. So apologies in advance if the answer to this is obvious.

I have installed Cygwin (latest version) on Windows 2003 in the default directory (c:\cygwin). The installation is on a mirrored 8GB dynamic NTFS volume with over 4GB's of free space after the Cygwin install. The problem is that when Cygwin installed, it somehow automagically created a disk partition (sda) of only 1GB in size which by default contains all of the installation. After the install I have less than 100MB's free and have not been able to figure out any way to increase the size of the root partition either as part of the installation or afterwards. Normally in Unix I could use fdisk or cfdisk to create new partitions (and move root) or expand root - but those tools are not available in Cygwin. If at all possible I'd like to either enable Cygwin to have a partition up to 3GB's in size. I could always create new cygwin folders either on the C:\ drive or other drives in the system and then move\re-mount /usr or other directories but I'd rather keep the install as close to standard as possible.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a problem with Windows 2003 or is 1GB the maximum size of the Cygwin root? I'm surprised I wasn't able to find any reference to this problem anywhere so there's likely a very obvious answer to this (again apoligies if that's the case).

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Mark F. Ewert
Principal Systems Architect
Integrated Healthcare Information Services
This e-mail and the information transmitted within it is intended only
for the recipient(s) to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of; or taking of any action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please send the e-mail back to notify the
sender and delete the message and its contents from any computers and
network systems involved in its receipt. Thank you.