Re: cygdrive path

At 01:36 PM 2/5/2004, Jan Buys you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question.  I am a dumb newbie to cygwin after
>all :-)
>
>I use the gcc compiler under cygwin to make some big builds.  gdb is used to
>debug.  However : I want to use a DDD-style visual front-end to gdb and my
>first choice was GNAT/GPS (looks DDD-like :) ).  The problem I experience
>however is that software like this has problems when it encounters '/cygdrive/'
>in the source file paths in the debug info of the executables I want to debug.
>
>Is there anyone who has a solution to this or can point me to an interesting
>read ?  AFAIK it would be a bit of a pain to start using a solution set diff
>than cygwin now...  let me make the best out of it :)

Non-Cygwin applications don't understand Cygwin POSIX paths.  The 'cygpath'
command can be used to translate POSIX paths to Win32/DOS and back but
it's a command-line utility.  You could use it to translate a POSIX path
to a Win32/DOS one as a parameter to a pure Win32 application at the time
that the application starts but you won't find that you can easily invoke
it as an integrated part of a Win32 application, at least not without
altering the code of that application.  I don't see an option for you
here unless you plan on building things in Cygwin under "/" and you change
"/" to mount as "<drive letter>:" where <drive letter> is one of C, D, E,
etc.  If you use the Win32 application from the same drive, you can
probably squeak by.

Of course, Cygwin has 'ddd' if that's what you want.  You'll need to
install and run Cygwin's Xfree too though.  If that's not a problem for
you, I'd say this is a better solution for you.

Holliston, MA 01746