Re: wincvs and cygwin (tcl DLL naming issue)

At 07:36 PM 2/4/2004, Shankar Unni you wrote:
>Daniel Atallah wrote:
>
>>I agree with both of you.  It is definitely a path
>>problem, and i also agree that the cygwin bin
>>shouldn't be in the windows path and vice versa.
>
>Well, we also use Cygwin tools from a lot of non-cygwin programs (e.g. Visual C++), so it has to be in the Windows Path, at least for me.
>
>(Larry Hall: this may be why you couldn't reproduce this problem - it doesn't happen unless (a) you have c:\cygwin\bin in your PATH, and (b) you have the Cygwin tcl/tk and/or Python installed, and (c) you don't have any native Windows Tcl or Python installed).

No, that describes my installation.  What wasn't clear initially and is
now is that folks were starting wincvs from Cygwin's shell.  If I do that,
I don't get the hang some have reported but wincvs will exit immediately
after it displays any "startup" dialogs (the tips and the reminder about
installing Python - even though I have the Cygwin one installed).  I don't
have a problem starting wincvs from Windows, even though Cygwin is still
in my path (although not at the front the way it is for my Cygwin shell).

>Anyway, given that this will happen even in other circumstances, I'd just like to understand what it is that has changed to cause this to hang.

OK, but you'll need to dig a bit for that.

>But I don't want to waste anyone's time debugging this - I was just looking to see if anyone had an "oh yeah, xxx or yyy has changed" type ready answer.

Yeah, no one is going to be able to point to "this" or "that" and say it's
the problem.  This will take some debugging on someone's part.  It's
possible it's just a DLL naming clash as previously mentioned.  However,
the name of Cygwin's TCL DLL isn't new so again, it would be good to
understand the cause better.  Clearly, this problem is just a symptom of
something of the real problem.

>If not, let's just document this and move on..

Well, seems unproductive in terms of getting to the bottom of the problem
but if that works for all of you having the problem and/or no one is
interested enough to look for the resolution, the "documentation" is
done.  It's in the email archives now.

Holliston, MA 01746